Monday, September 2, 2024

Six Reasons You Don't Know What You're Talking About

1.) People Assume Things Will Never Change

When I was 11 my teacher said, 'the Delaware river is so polluted it won't be long before we can walk across it.'

My teacher assumed that nothing would be done about pollution, things would just continue as they always had. 

My teacher did not take into account the growing public concern about pollution that resulted in the creation of the the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the enforcement of new laws to protect the environment. 

2.) People Do Not Consider All of the Potential Reasons Something Happened

When my mother heard of a burglary conducted in total darkness she said it took night vision goggles so soldiers must have done it.

My mom assumed that members of the military were the only ones with access to night vision




goggles. 

First, employees at the factory which manufactured the goggles had access.

Second, most military bases employ civilians who also have had access.

Third, both of these groups could sell these goggles to a pawn shop, who can sell the night vision equipment to anyone who walks in the door.

3.) People Assume Others Remember Everything They Ever Said

I once had a boss who questioned some of my processes. I explained that I was following the Vice President's orders; When she spoke to the VP, he denied he ever said that.

She assumed the VP remembered what he said three years ago. 

Since I received these directions three years earlier, I researched memory and retention and then met with my boss and her boss. 

I shared a Harvard Business Review article which explained in no uncertain terms that there is no way the VP could remember what he said three years ago. 

4.) People Assume If Things Should Happen They Will Happen

I recently went to a hospital and had a procedure. Prior to my hospital visit, I had to restrict my drinking.

My wife assumed the doctor's directions said exactly when I had to stop drinking. I said the doctor's directions did not provide a time. She said, that is not possible. I shared the directions and she saw how possible it was.

We all believe things should happen in a certain way, but things are never that way 100% of the time.


5.) People Assume If They Haven't Heard Otherwise, It must Be True

Job loss is hard for anyone. Too often we feel like we're the only one who is unemployed.

We make this assumption because we have no information telling us otherwise. While these feelings are understandable, they're not based on facts.

A quick trip to The Bureau of Labor and Statistics  reveals that, on average,  6 - 8 million Americans lose their job every quarter. The good news is a slightly higher number of Americans get new jobs each quarter. 

6.) People Assume One Person Knows All There is to Know About an Organization

When I was in college, I attended an extracurricular activity which promised to help me relax. The instructor said he was associated with the local hospital.

A fellow student called the hospital and asked the person he spoke with if she knew the instructor. 

Because that person didn't know the instructor, he assumed that the instructor had nothing to do with the hospital.

My friend assumed that the person who answered the phone knew about everyone who ever had anything to do with the hospital.

I have to admit, one of my favorite pastimes is examining the assumptions underlying everything I hear. Before you think I'm strange, consider every vignette you just read.

We all make assumption based on incomplete or faulty information.

My teacher assumed things would never change.

My mother assumed only one group would have access to special equipment.

My boss assumed someone would remember exactly what he said three years ago.

My wife assumed if something should happen it will happen. 

We assume if we haven't heard otherwise, then it must be true.

My friend assumed one person knew everyone who ever had anything to do with a hospital.

I hope you found this article of value and in the future you won't be quick to accept everything you hear.


Clark has had 65 years to learn a few things. During that time he also wrote

Job Hunting Secrets (from someone who's been there) and 

LinkedIn Strategies to Take Your Career to the Next Level


First Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

Second Photo by OSPAN ALI  on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Six Reasons You Don't Know What You're Talking About

1.) People Assume Things Will Never Change When I was 11 my teacher said, 'the Delaware river is so polluted it won't be long before...