Friday, May 24, 2024

Vernon Can Read...

 This is a book about one of the greatest humans I've ever known.

I probably chose to read it, because I've seen Vernon in the news throughout my life.

He never sought the limelight but he was a very capable man. Perhaps, I could relate to him.

He did amazing things for the oppressed.

His life in so many ways is best summarized by the many roles he performed:

  • Chauffeur whose employer was surprised he could read
  • Head of the United Negro College Fund
  • Head of the NAACP
  • Shot by a racist when he was seen with a white woman
  • On the board of directors of many major corporations
  • Advisor to President Clinton
  • Partner at Lazard Freres, a large investment banking firm.
His mother, a very intelligent and very supportive woman, ran a catering business in Atlanta until she was 83. When he was younger, he frequently worked for her as a server.

More could certain be written about this wonderful book, but I wanted to capture my observations while the book was still fresh in my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Six Reasons You Don't Know What You're Talking About

1.) People Assume Things Will Never Change When I was 11 my teacher said, 'the Delaware river is so polluted it won't be long before...